Tuesday, January 6, 2015

An Album I'd Like to See Made

One of my favorite singers is Vera Lynn.  I first heard her sing when I was in 9th or 10th grade.  The radio disk jockey played two or three numbers by Ms. Lynn.  The next week I ordered an album of hers.  I still have it.

Time passed.  Then came the Internet.  A bit of Wiki and a smattering of Pandora and I'm listening to Katherine Jenkins.  It's hard to say which is really my favorite singer, I'll call them co-favorites.

I would love to have Ms. Jenkins record the very best, say 12 songs, of Vera Lynn.  Now that would be an album.

What would I title the album? Well it depends. In 2005 Dame Vera encouraged the Welsh mezzo-soprano singer Katherine Jenkins to assume the mantle of "Forces' Sweetheart. If Ms. Jenkins has assumed the mantle, then there's the title--Passing The Mantle.

I've gotten a kick out of this. 

"In September 2009 Lynn became the oldest living artist to make it into No. 1 in the British album chart, at the age of 92, passing such veterans of music as American jazz trumpeter Louis Armstrong and French singer Charles Aznavour. Her collection We'll Meet Again: The Very Best of Vera Lynn entered the chart at number 20 on 30 August, and then climbed to number 2 the following week, before reaching the top position,outselling both the Arctic Monkeys and the Beatles.In its third week the album went gold with sales of over 100,000."


No comments: