Thursday, January 29, 2015

Sniper Movie

I have not seen American Sniper.  I'll wait until Netflix makes it available via streaming.  It's a war flick.  When I was a kid, I saw lots of war movies--WWI, WWII, Korea and others.   For the most part they were films that showed, we won, we're good, we spread liberty and democracy.  It's the old arsenal of democracy meme.  Then I went to war.  Vietnam.  I still watched a war flick now and then but I did so with a different eye.  I had learned war sucks.  War is death.  War is destruction.  War really is just foreign policy by another means.   Films have a way of glossing over the ugly stuff and missing a lot of details as it compresses time into no more than 2 1/2 hours.  Film is a story, it's the uneducated man's history if  you will.  Now we have a popular Iraq War film.

The film may be good.  I don't know.  The film may make a decent point.  I hope we don't forget that the Iraq War was iditoic.  It never should have happened.  As I've read about this latest exercise in making money via patriotic gore, I find passions are pretty intense on both sides.

‘American Sniper’ Fuels a War on the Home Front

It must some kind of flick, from the pro and con rehtoric it seems to be the one film that inspires gun nuts and peaceniks jerk off.    Like I said war sucks, but we will always have foreign policy.

No comments: