Monday, August 10, 2015

Weed Killer

I have a gravel drive.  I had it re-graveled last Summer, but now grass and weeds have begun to  grow into it.  I didn't want to use a weed killer such as Roundup.  That stuff is real toxic and should not be near any living thing, especially the living thing spraying it on the weeds.

I wasn't sure of what I was going to do, until I remembered seeing a home made weed killer in Consumers Reports magazine.  I mixed up 1/2 gal of white vinegar, 1/2 cup of Epsom Salts, and 2 tablespoons of Dawn dish detergent.   I sprayed ares of the drive yesterday.  If I could find where I sprayed, today, then I'll try more and see what happens.

I was outside a short while ago.   It had been about 24 hours, with light rain this morning.  I looked for evidence, dead/dying grass and weeds.  I found very brown weeds and grass so I assume the mix works.  I'll try more of the mix and hope the plants are really dead and not just set back to rebound in a month or so.

The vinegar is probably what is doing the killing, the Epsom salt and soap make a clinging binder for the vinegar so it can kill the plant instead of just drying off.  What would happen with just straight vinegar?

No comments: